We are a values-driven, Living Wage Employer, with staff members who are proud to play a part in building a better region.
At this time, there are no opportunities available.
United Way Peterborough & District Board of Directors
Are you or someone you know a community leader?
Poverty touches most aspects of a person’s life from food, shelter, and employment, to mental and physical well-being. The mission of United Way Peterborough & District (UWP) is to improve lives and build community by engaging individuals and mobilizing collective action. Through funding vital supports and services throughout our communities, UWP is ensuring that residents have the resources and assistance they need to unlock their full potential.
UWP is seeking individuals from all walks of life who see themselves as community changemakers, to join our volunteer Board of Directors. We invite applications from equity deserving groups and people with lived and living experience to help inform and grow our capacity to think and act inclusively. We welcome diverse perspectives to best build solutions that address local priority social issues, including poverty reduction.
The current Board has Directors from various sectors who are committed to reducing poverty and creating greater diversity in our communities. Working as a team, you will:
- Be actively engaged to identify areas for growth in our existing strategy
- Provide support for philanthropic activities
- Attend Board meetings and functions (remotely and in person)
- Contribute expertise, advice and informed perspective to discussions and decisions
- Act and observe the principles of good governance and fiduciary responsibility
- Introduce others to our organization
- Comply with our code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest policies as well with the national membership standards and brand
Skills, experience & qualifications
- Individuals from underrepresented groups such as women, 2SLGBTQ+, Indigenous, Black, racialized, persons with disabilities, and/or bilingual/multilingual are encouraged to apply
- Knowledge of community strengths, challenges, and local issues
- Ability to think strategically and apply a social justice lens in addressing organizational priorities
- Understanding and connection to our Indigenous communities
- Legal, financial and organizational development experience
- Community/government social programs
- Experience in business development or sales
- Desire and capacity to inspire and engage others for the benefit of our community
- Ability to employ empathetic listening and willingness to respect alternative opinions
United Way Peterborough & District is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and encourages applications from all individuals including women, LGBTQ2S+, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and other equity-seeking groups. This is an excellent opportunity to use your voice and work alongside passionate community members to help steer the organization.
This is a volunteer position.
The commitment is for a three-year term with an option to continue for an additional term. Approximately 6 – 10 hours per month would be dedicated to activities, including UWP Annual General Meeting, special events and Campaign Launch and Committee Meetings. Participation on a Board standing committee is included in this time commitment.
If you have a desire to make a difference in your community, please send a one page letter describing your interest in serving on the Board and a summary of your experience directly to email@example.com If you are interested but would like to know more, please reach out to the above email and a member of our senior leadership team would be happy to answer your questions.