Development & Communications Officer – Open Position
Development & Communications Officer
(Full-time Permanent Position)
The Development & Communications Officer will play a key role on United Way Peterborough & District’s (UWP’s) Philanthropy team through raising funds and supporting communications activities. Under direction of the Director of Philanthropy, the incumbent will oversee a portfolio of revenue generation partnerships and develop strategic communications to support revenue and build a culture of generosity for UWP in the community.
The UWP operates as an open, dynamic, high functioning team that values resourcefulness, creativity, and integrity. Our goal is to mobilize resources to build a stronger community. The incumbent actively advances a stakeholder-centric culture and utilizes stakeholder input to drive organizational decisions.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Account Management & Revenue Generation (50%):
- Using best practices in donor centric fundraising practices, develop and deliver results-driven revenue generation activities within assigned portfolio of individuals and businesses to increase annual revenue, attract and retain donors and volunteers and promote year-round communication and engagement.
- Discover donors’ and prospects’ philanthropic interests, values and priorities and engage them in UWP’s mission and work through philanthropy, sponsorships, volunteer engagement and advocacy.
- Undertake prospect/donor identification and move prospects/donors through the gift cycle of research, cultivation, proposal development, solicitation and stewardship.
- Develop and implement strategies and build cohesive relationships for a portfolio of individuals, workplace campaigns in order to meet fundraising goals, key performance indicators and other measures.
- Support and manage volunteers to assist in solicitation and stewardship calls with Company Executives and other key stakeholders.
- Work in collaboration with Director of Philanthropy and campaign leaders to develop goals and benchmarks for new revenue and engagement.
- Ensure all stewardship and recognition activities are in place and implemented for all donors within their portfolio.
- Stay apprised of trends or issues in relevant industries that affect business climate or culture, and economic environment which could impact fund development.
- Capture, enter and maintain relevant stakeholder information in database.
- Effectively embrace and utilize the UWP database to manage relationships.
- Provides communications support to the Philanthropy team in implementing of the organization’s communication plan.
- Oversees United Way’s online presence and ensures social channels (including Facebook, Twitter, You Tube channel and corporate website) are fed and updated regularly.
- Executes design and delivery of newsletter and maintains accurate email distribution lists
- Actively uncover and lead conversations/interviews with funded agencies to uncover inspirational stories to share with our community.
- Develop and coordinate printing of Annual Report, communication materials, campaign materials, press releases, and other communication materials as requested.
- Acts as a resource in matters relating to strategic communications and messaging.
- Project manage UWP events and act as main point of contact for third-party events
Education & Experience Required:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or College Diploma in a social science or business discipline such as business administration, public administration, commerce or economic development AND combination of the following:
- 3 to 5 years of demonstrated success in a fundraising or sales environment or applied United Way fundraising experience with an emphasis on customer relationship building.
- 3 to 5 years of applied customer-centric relationship and problem-solving skills.
- 3 to 5 years of project management or event management.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- High level of energy, enthusiasm, creativity and flexibility
- Understanding of community development theory, practice and processes
- Superior skills in working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders and building strong relationships with community members, agencies, donors and government
- Comfort asking individuals, workplaces and prospective partners for donations regardless of the communication vehicle.
- An innovative, creative and strategic thinker understanding how to build on the success of a proven model or to develop new approaches.
- Flexibility, adaptability and ability to work within ambiguity.
- Demonstrated ability to interact comfortably, tactfully, professionally and effectively with a wide range of constituencies and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated skills in conducting presentations and undertaking public speaking.
- Superior written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, planning and time management skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and flexibility in meeting shifting demands and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate volunteers and donors.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications (including Word, Excel), Canva, Constant Contact
Working Conditions / Physical Environment:
- The team is temporarily working remotely due to COVID-19.
- At least 50% of the time will be away from the office. Access to adequate transportation is essential.
- Non-traditional hours are required due to deadlines or other operational issues.
Please submit your resume with cover letter, in confidence to Anne Ondercin, Director of Philanthropy firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date May 29, 2020
As part of the recruitment process, those selected will be required to provide employment references and complete a vulnerable sector check. We thank everyone for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.