Labour Community Services
Union and Peer Counselling
Workers Helping Workers: Join our Network of Peer Counsellors.
The partnership between United Way of Peterborough & District and the Labour Movement has been active since 1995.
As a part of this partnership, United Way of Peterborough & District provides a customized training program for
local workers who would like to serve as a union or peer counsellor in their workplace.
Counsellors act as a link between the Labour Movement and local social service agencies.
- You! Become both a leader and a resource in your workplace.
- Your union! Union counsellors provide a new value-added service to members.
- Your company! Counsellors will be an important component in making the workplace a healthier, happier place to be.
- Your labour movement! Counsellors know first-hand what new services are available and can help identify gaps in the community.
- Your community! As a counsellor, you help have the opportunity to increase the awareness of the need to provide fair,
affordable, sensitive and easy-to-reach community services for people from all walks of life.
What You Learn
Participants will learn about the following subjects:
- Unions & Communities Working Together
- Community Services
- Principles of Communication
- Interviewing & Listening Skills
- Dealing with Diversity
- Implementing the Program
- Employment Insurance
The Basic Course*
This program runs for eight weeks (one session per week) at a cost of $120.00. If you are interested or would like more information,
contact Paul Brown
* Advanced workshops are periodically offered by the Peterborough and District Labour Council
and deal with a specific topic for the entire course.
The Union and Peer Counselling Course is tentatively scheduled for Spring 2012. Please contact Paul Brown for more information.