Request for Proposal – Homelessness Enumeration Coordinator
Thanks to 70 years of donor support, United Way Peterborough & District (UWP) has a proud history of working with local human and social service agencies to transform our community. Working with our donors and our community, UWP seeks to change social conditions to create opportunities for a better life for individuals, families, and communities by making our community a better place to live for everyone. In our efforts to support our community to move from poverty to possibility, UWP became the Community Entity for the Homelessness Partnering Strategy (HPS) in 2007.
As Community Entity, UWP has received funding from the Government of Canada’s Homelessness Partnering Strategy (HPS) to coordinate a community homeless count for the Peterborough Area in 2018. The count will provide vital information to participating communities about their homeless population and contribute to the understanding of homelessness in Canada. The count will also include a registry week process that will help support improvements in the local service delivery system to better support those who are homelessness.
We are seeking an independent contractor to work collaboratively with UWP and our Advisory Committee to coordinate the Homelessness Count for the Peterborough Area. The Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating and executing the Homelessness Count during the week of March 22, 2018 using a standard methodology defined by the Homelessness Partnering Strategy and Homelessness Count Advisory Committee.
The following package of supports will be used:
- Guide to Point-in-Time Counts in Canada;
- Canadian Observatory on Homelessness (COH) Point-in-Time Count Toolkit;
- National Homelessness Enumeration Training Sessions;
- Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness materials and tools regarding Registry Week Counts; and
- Online Forum forums related to Registry Week and Point in Time Counts.
Project deliverables include:
- Implementing a homeless enumeration in the City and County of Peterborough using the methodology and criteria established by Federal and Provincial government, HPS Secretariat, and the Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness.
- Work within the timelines and under the direction of the Community Entity and Enumeration Advisory Committee.
- Prepare a weather contingency plan.
- Organization and execution of all pre-enumeration activities and events including stakeholder focus groups and community consultation.
- Recruitment and training of Enumeration Volunteers.
- Managing and executing the homelessness enumeration including any counts taking place in the county.
- Planning for and entering data from the Enumeration into the HPS data system and other data collection tools.
- Provide any support or data necessary to submit interim and final reports to HPS.
- Analysis of Enumeration Data in preparation for HPS and other reporting.
- Preparation of data and a final Enumeration report for community distribution.
- Meeting regularly on project activities with the Enumeration Advisory Committee.
The successful contractor should possess the following qualifications and experience:
- Demonstrated experience in project management.
- Demonstrated experience in effective volunteer management.
- In-depth knowledge of best practices in volunteer recruitment, retention and succession planning principles.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently within a framework of clearly defined objectives and timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and to develop positive working relationships with community organizations and with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Post secondary education in social sciences, human resources, community development, or adult education is an asset or an equivalent level of work experience in a social service environment
- Proficiency in MS Office including Word and Access or Excel
- Knowledge of Peterborough City and County is preferred
Due to the travel required in the City and County of Peterborough, the contractor should possess a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
The contractor will be allocated $23,000 between Nov 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018 to complete the work contained within this RFP.
APPLICATION DETAILS AND SELECTION CRITERIA
The winning bidder will be selected solely at the discretion of the United Way of Peterborough & District. All proposals submitted by the deadline will be reviewed to ensure they meet all the requirements outlined. All responsive bids will be scored and the top three bids will be evaluated by United Way Peterborough & District. Negotiations with the winning bidder are expected to result in a contract award in 2-4 weeks.
Your proposal should address the following:
- A detailed background of your experience and expertise that supports your ability to meet the activities described in the RFP.
- An outline and description of similar work or projects completed including references from two organizations that have directly benefited from your work.
- A detailed summary of your approach to undertaking the work outlined in this RFP which reflects your understanding of its scope. Include outcomes to be achieved and an evaluation plan.
- A resume and contact information.
Please submit your application by 5pm on Wednesday November 8, 2017 via email to:
CEO, United Way of Peterborough & District